Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 3 Oct 17 continued

Well rain and wind came so I couldn't finish my notes from Day Three and the best is to come...Oh me!  You have to remember I'm not real creative when it comes to writing. 

Today was my first lock on the Nanseann and Saddie's....so here we come Pickwick Lock and Dam.



It gets your attention....you in this little boat and this mass of concrete in front of you....putting out fenders and lines on port and starboard so when the Lock Master tells you which side of the lock you will be on you are ready.  Life jackets on, gloves on....I was ready for the starboard side...
Oh me...port side you say I haven't practiced that.  Capt Rik tells me...counterclockwise with the lines Nancy....OK I can do this....I only have hundred or more locks to go thru

Miss Saddi
 
There were 10 boats in the lock....1000 foot lock...we looked like toys sitting there
Took two hours of waiting (barge on the other side) and collecting pleasure boats.  You know commercial traffic (the barges) go first.  But everyone who left Clifton Marina that morning and three other boats that we passed on the river made it too the lock.  Just goes to say.....the fast boats go fast but when it comes to the lock they will be waiting for the slower ones to catch up
 
 



Gates open and everyone is off and running.  We decided to stay at Pickwick Landing which was about a mile upriver.  It is a state park.  We were on the sailboat pier, backed our boat in, put Saddie's ramp together and heard from pier "weather" was coming...secure you boat.  Capt Rik took care of the boat and Saddi and I headed to green grass.  It was  long way from the boat but we made it.  She has really been good and is becoming a real "boat bum dog".
Good day....experienced wind way over 30 miles per hour at times....even had a few white caps on the river......Nancy and Saddi experienced Lock Number 1 and Rik kept us on course with stern into the slip first with wind.  We had a great day and love being "Boat Bums"

No comments:

Post a Comment